"Dear Relieved Member,
I hate to correct you, Ian, but your praise of all was spread a little far and didn't shine enough light on you and my second in command.
This is a resume of what I believed really happened.
1. Ian turned up at the club to find that the padlock wouldn't open.
2. Catherine and Ian took a panel off to enable entry for Cliff and the course attendees. Catherine also helped set up the course .
3. Ian phoned me but got Sharon, to whom he explained the problem. I overheard, thus disrupting my morning read in bed.
4. Sharon handed Ian over to me. I reassured him, from the comfort of my bed, that we would get the existing padlock cut off (Sharon's idea) and find a replacement padlock.
5. Sharon phoned Keith T and asked if he could cut the lock off. He said he could and he did.
6. Sharon phoned Raouf and explained that we needed a replacement padlock. He told her he already had one and would take it up before Cliff and Ian finished their course. Which he did.
7. Meanwhile I tried to recover my composure and continued to read my book.
8. Cliff and you spent a day coaching.
9. Eventually I got up and had breakfast before carrying on with my day as planned.
10. On hearing all this Richard took full credit as Chairman and thus responsible for all the above.
Thank you to all those who actually did something.
PS Your main point Ian was absolutely correct, What a club!
Feeling a little tired now what with all these goings on, must retire to bed early, as I've got some disrupted reading to catch up on..."